In 1979, Marvin and Beverly Maxwell opened Mom’s Music on Frankfort Avenue. Marvin knew that music was an important and untapped market in this area. Mom’s started as a small retail store and sound contracting business with an emphasis on helping musicians and churches with their musical needs.
In the mid 80’s Mom’s began teaching private music lessons and soon added group lessons with it’s popular and now famous Rock School. Rock School has grown into a multi-level group class that provides kids from 8 to 18 the opportunity to learn to play in a band, schedule their own performances and even record their own music.
In the early 90’s Mom’s added an adult group class, Weekend Warriors, (similar to Rock School) giving the moms and dads a way of showing the kids how to rock.
In the 2000’s Mom’s moved from its Frankfort Ave. location to the old Tumbleweed restaurant on Mellwood Ave. giving the business more convenient parking, more retail space and the room for its ever growing music education department.
Still a family owned business, Mom’s continues to be involved with many community organizations and events from feeding kids to MERF (Musicians Emergency Resource Foundation) to animal rights, cancer awareness and many others. Mom’s has also been involved in the creation of other benefits to the community from “Louisville Live” TV show, “Live at Mom’s” “Louisville’s Lost and Found” radio shows, as well as “B Real Music Program” and “Takin’ It to the Street” religious programs. Mom’s Music truly is “Where Louisville Does Music”.
- 1979 Mom’s Music opens on Frankfort Ave: Retail, Contracting Affiliation with Yamaha & exclusive dealer
- 1980 Mom’s becomes a member of NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants Mom’s opens recording studio producing some of the best bands in Louisville – Releasing many local CD’s
- 1981 Mom’s develops MERF (Musician’s Emergency Relief Fund) a non-profit organization that helps take care of musicians in need
- 1983 “Live At Mom’s” radio show begins with WQMF featuring the best of Louisville music live
- 1984 Mom’s helps Yamaha America create Rock School – (the first of it’s kind)
- 1987 Mom’s wins national award “Best Community Music Service” award from NAMM
- 1995 #1 Parker Guitar Dealer in the world!
- 1996 #1 Line 6 Amp Dealer in the world!
- 1997 Meeting place & beginning of the platinum selling artists “Days of the New” & “Tantric” Mom’s opens 12,500 sq ft Indiana store with a major commitment to education – 150 seat theater, Jazzercise & more
- 2001 Mom’s develops Rockschool performance program, booking kid bands throughout the region & forms alliances with 4th Street Live, 6 Flags Ky Kingdom & more
- 2002 Begins Backline Rental Company, providing equipment for Caesars Indiana, The Kentucky Derby, Rick Springfield, Morris Day & the Time & many more
- 2004 One of the Top Multi Location music stores in the world
- 2005 Mom’s launches new music TV show “Louisville Live” shot at 4th Street Live & seen on CW Louisville network Begins Weekend Warrior National music program for adults
- 2006 Mom’s opens new 12,000 sq ft Louisville store in the original Tumbleweed building on Mellwood Ave, featuring a “state of the art” recording facility
- Mom’s produces with WFPK Radio “Louisville Lost & Found” radio show featuring found tapes recorded in the 60’s & 70’s
- 2007 Mom’s creates “Takin’ It To The Streets” Christian concert series & TV show on the CW Network, featuring the best Churches in our area.
- 2008 Helps create “B Real Music Program” through Presbyterian Community Center, that focuses on the inner city youth Our teachers have been seen on the “Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno”, “The Grand Ole Opry”, “David Letterman” & many more The Future: Our focus on the national spotlight with our Kid Bands – with interest from Disney & Nickelodeon
- Hard Rock Café
- 4th Street Live
- Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
- Mayor’s Hike & Bike
- Mayor’s New Years Eve Bash
- Barnstable Brown Party
- Louisville Free Public Library
- Music In The Metro
- Light Up Louisville
- Joe Huber’s Farms
- Relay for Life
- American Heart Association
- Derby Festival Great Stage
- Derby Marathon
- Crusade for Children
- Dare to Care
- Kentucky/USA Harvest
- Save The Music
- All Public & Private Schools